Friday, January 07, 2005

The Simple Joys of Programming...

I have just finished a small project but in terms of its relevance I believe I crossed another huge mental roadblock. This was my first web application I built in ASP.Net and it will be a major addition to my resume. There was a time I was unsure of my abilities as a programmer and cried about six years of my life all going down the drain. Those days are well past me but I still have miles to go before I work the dream job. Like the Chinese proverb which says a journey of a thousand miles begins in a single step I got to this point because I dared to venture out of my comfort zone. Every new project I get into I have treaded with trepidation initially but what I have learnt over the last one year is that God always rewards me if I work hard. Drawing a pale comparison to Edison who said he succesfully discovered six thousand ways not to light a bulb through each project I have coded away in the wrong directions, retraced my path, begun afresh and achieved results. That then is the essence of this blog...not the praise of some project manager but the jubiliation from your inner self you feel when all your hard work has materialised and the pride you feel in having accomplished the task. In these days programming has become an easy but still arduous task ...easy because of the volume of information you have at your fingertips from just a simple search on google and arduous because of the huge variety and diversity in selecting a particular language for coding and the jungle of literature available on each each aspect of programming. In the last 6 months stuff I have built has been used by ppl to chat, play quiz, automate some of the daily tasks they did and view and build reports for their work. I am still nowhere near feeling accomplished...I still fail in wht a programmer has to be good at... voluntarily learning new technologies, a solid technical mind and vision of the system to built and many more shortcomings. We are termed nerds by our peers for spending hours staring at a computer screen, we give yogis and new-age guru's a complex by how much of our mind we can train into focussing on the problem at hand...the world is today at our fingertip...Programmers of the World....Rise and Ye be Proud...What we do echoes in other people's lives and in eternity (a lift from gladiator).

No comments: